Teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dental procedure because it’s simple and versatile – you don’t even have to come into the office to do it. But with more patients taking whitening into their own hands, that opens them up to potential pitfalls. Before getting started with home whitening for the first time, schedule an exam to get checked out and receive some advice.
Looking for something more dramatic? In-office Chatsworth teeth whitening offers same-day whitening under our professional supervision. If you’re just diving into the whitening waters, we’re here to help. Contact us with any questions you might have.
Safely Whiten Teeth at Home
Why do some patients choose home whitening? There are a few reasons:
- Their teeth are sensitive
- They prefer to whiten on their own schedule
- They’re interested in gentle, gradual results
If those benefits sound appealing, it’s worth learning a little more about home kits. Just keep these considerations in mind:
1. Check in with your dentist – Yellow-tinged teeth can actually be whitened with just a simple cleaning. By talking to Dr. Barton, you can be sure that whitening is recommended for your stains. If you have sensitive teeth, it’s especially important that you find a brand that suits your enamel. Whitening shouldn’t be painful!
2. Check the peroxide level of the whitening gel – Find a home whitening product with a carbamide peroxide level of between 10-20%. If this is your first time whitening, you should choose something on the lower end to avoid discomfort.
3. Get custom whitening trays – We can take impressions of your teeth and make custom trays that perfectly fit your teeth. This makes whitening more comfortable and effective.
4. Don’t overdo it – Overly white teeth can end up looking unnatural. The general rule is that you don’t want to go any lighter than the whites of your eyes. Once you’ve reached your desired shade, let your smile shine out!