How’s your oral hygiene doing these days? It’s important to take a quick break and check in with yourself every now and then. We learn how and when to brush and floss as children – and then continue to clean our teeth in a similar way throughout our lives. By paying attention to exactly how you’re treating your pearly whites, you give yourself a chance to update your cleaning methods, and better fulfill your hopes of staying cavity-free. Our Chatsworth family dentist lists some tips below to help you hop on the healthy smile train.
Simple Tweaks to Transform Oral Hygiene
- Brush before breakfast – Sounds counter-intuitive, right? Shouldn’t you brush after eating so that you have fresh breath for the day? If you typically have orange juice, citrus fruit, or other acidic foods/drinks for breakfast, then it’s best to brush before you eat. Acidic substances weaken your enamel, opening it up to damage from brushing.
- Floss before brushing – By flossing before you brush, you remove food particles from between your teeth and make it easier for fluoride to boost your enamel strength.
- Check up on your technique – We know how little free time you have – make your hygiene count by making it more effective. Skim a brushing guide and flossing guide to make sure you’re not wasting your energy, and are cleaning your teeth properly.
- Add a mouthwash – If you find that brushing and flossing aren’t cutting it, or your breath isn’t fresh, try adding a mouthwash to remove additional bacteria and keep your tongue and gums clean. Ask us for a mouthwash recommendation!
- Be vigilant – If you think that something’s wrong, your instincts are probably right. Respond to pain or signs of trouble quickly, so that we have the best possible chance of treating the problem before it becomes serious. Just get in touch!