A bright smile speaks for itself! Make sure your whitening results are long-lasting
Teeth whitening is by far the most popular cosmetic dental treatment, because it’s so simple – but so effective. After just one in-office appointment, you walk out of our doors with a brighter, happier smile in place. But what about making sure that dazzling grin lasts as long as possible?
After Calhoun teeth whitening, you’ll want to take a few precautions to keep your pearly whites in great shape. Read on for some tips from Dr. Barton and our staff on maintaining whitening results. And if you’re thinking about taking your smile up a few shades, just get in touch to learn more!
Whiter Teeth – In the Long Term
- Understand what stains your teeth – Your enamel is the protective layer that covers the outside of your teeth. It is porous, which is the reason it can become stained (and then be whitened). When you consume dark or acidic foods or drinks, or when you use tobacco products, the staining compounds within become lodged in your enamel. You can prevent against future staining by keeping your enamel clean and free of these compounds. The first step…
- Rinse after eating or drinking – Be sure to rinse with water to remove stains before they have a chance to set.
- Practice excellent oral hygiene – Brush and floss carefully to keep your teeth clean and clear, and get regular dental cleanings.
- Prevent enamel erosion – If you grind your teeth at night, you’re putting your enamel at risk. When it erodes, the inner layer of dentin shows through. Since dentin is yellow, this darkens your entire smile.
- Try whitening touch-ups at home – Regular touch-ups will keep your in-office whitening looking just as bright as it did immediately after treatment. Just ask us for some product recommendations, and we will make you custom whitening trays so that you’re able to whiten comfortably.